The Tobacco Museum – a collection of the Museum and Galleries of Ljubljana and Tobačna Ljubljana – emerged 20 years ago from close co-operation between the tobacco factory and the City Museum of Ljubljana.
On the occasion of the 140th anniversary of its operation, in 2011 Tobačna Ljubljana decided to modernise the Tobacco Museum which was then moved to the new premises of the Tobačna 001 Cultural Centre.
Through this renewed collection now situated in a new location, Ljubljana will gain a refreshed insight into its rich industrial heritage.
Throughout the decades of its operation, Tobačna Ljubljana (established on 19 January 1871) characterised Ljubljana in a distinctive way. One could say that the factory was a town within a town; among other things it also had a kindergarten, a library, a fire brigade and a mixed choir. The first product to be manufactured by the predominantly female workers was the Virginian cigar (“viržinka”), a cigar which was very popular in the early 20th century. The collection inevitably contains the Filter 57 cigarettes, which definitely had a cult status. The presented tobacco collection mainly comprises objects and materials representing the past and life of both the factory and its workers.