Finžgar and Plečnik
Fran Saleški Finžgar (1871–1962) served as the priest for the parish of Trnovo from 1918 to 1936. A deep friendship developed between him and Plečnik.
The exhibition will present a selection of original letters, plans, and sketches by Plečnik, which all display his graphic design process for books and magazines. Throughout, Plečnik always had enthusiastic support from his friend and the Trnovo priest, Fran Saleški Finžgar. New archival material from the Finžgar Collection kept at the National and University Library’s Manuscript Collection will be studied and intertwined with the preserved Finžgar letters found in the Plečnik Collection. The exhibition represents our continued collaboration with Marijan Rupert, MA and Head of Manuscript Collection and Early Printed Collection at the National and University Library.
Plečnik and Finžgar agreed that there should be no barriers between good friends, which is why they decided against the renovation of the fence that once separated the parish’s garden from Plečnik’s. Finžgar would often visit Plečnik’s home for a chat, while the architect appreciated the priest’s vernacular, which was full of sayings and ideas, as well as his enthusiasm for any type of spiritual work.